September 05, 2012

Peach and Plum Oatmeal Crumble Bars

I can't believe how busy I've been lately. I'm attributing it to the end of summer madness and that silly little thing called my full time job (poor excuse... I know). However, I do have a bunch of recipes that I need to post and I also have a couple days off coming up which means it's time to try some new recipes! Oooh, and I can't wait to start sharing my fall recipes. I LOVE FALL.

In the meantime here is another delicious summer stone fruit recipe! It's pretty darn tasty and after it cools it is easily cut up into bars - which means it's easy to pick one up on my way past the plate and shove it in my mouth (yikes...) or it's awesome served warm with some vanilla ice cream on the side!


INGREDIENTS:

Filling:
5 cups peeled, chopped peaches and plums. (about 3 or 4 of each)
5 tsp cornstarch
1 lemon, juiced
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar

Crust:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup uncooked quick oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS:
Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.

Preheat oven to 
375 degrees F. Combine all crust ingredients in a large bowl. Mix with your hands or with a wooden spoon until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of a greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Spread filling over pressed crust. Then finish off by sprinkling the reserved crumb mixture over top of the filling.

Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.

Cool completely and cut into bars or serve warm with ice cream!

NOTES: Make sure you have ripe flavorful peaches and plumbs because the flavor of the fruit really comes through in these bars. Mmmm... ENJOY!

Recipe: Slightly adapted from The Baker Chick