October 15, 2012

Homemade Oreos

I got this recipe about 6 or 7 years ago and trust me, once you make it these cookies you won't be able to stop. Be prepared for your socks to be knocked off. Yum. Usually when I make desserts I'm making them to share. Not these, it was a completely selfish craving. I had everything except for the cake mix needed. I dropped everything, hopped in the car with the pup and went to the store...This is only a big deal because I'm a hermit and hate to leave the house on my day off unless I absolutely have to. I. HAD. TO.

INGREDIENTS:
Cookie:
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
2 large eggs
3/4 cup shortening

Frosting:
1- 8 oz.  cream cheese, room temp
1/4 cup butter, room temp
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
I took pictures! Exciting right?
First, mix the eggs, shortening and cake mix into a heavy dough. Plop the dough onto plastic wrap and mold into a large ball. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

While you are waiting for the dough to chill whip the cream cheese, vanilla and butter in a mixer until smooth and well combined. Then add powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth. set aside (or - be like me at cut up an apple to dip in it - told ya.. cravings)

Next, position one oven rack on the very bottom and one at the very top, then preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Roll small balls of the chilled dough and place on a sprayed baking sheet. FYI another thing I hate worse than leaving my house on my day off is washing dishes by hand; hence the aluminum foil on my sheet pan.

Place pan on the lowest rack in the oven for four minutes. Then on the top rack for four minutes and remove and let cool. This allows the cookies to have a uniform crispness, it's worth it. After the cookies have cooled completely flip one over, spread a dollop of frosting on the back and create a sandwich by placing the bottom of another cookie against the frosting.

Notes: Sadly this recipe doesn't make very many cookies. Only about 12- 20 depending on how big you roll the dough balls. However, the frosting recipe makes enough for two batches so go ahead and make a double batch of dough.

If you have any leftovers refrigerate them for a midnight snack. (I love them cold)

Also, If you are waiting for them to cool you might as well follow my lead and take a spoonful of frosting and blob it onto a single cookie. - but wait! That means there will be an uneven number... better have another one. (you're welcome)

Recipe:  No clue where the original came from. I got it from an old friend.

2 comments:

Jeanne G said...

I was a waitin' for this one!
Yummo

Miranda Gennaro said...

You're so dang cute, Cass! I can't wait to start baking! I'm lovin' the friendship bread too, I've always wondered how to start that. - - Miranda