September 06, 2012

Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate


Last year my Mom found this recipe because she knows my love for Chai Tea. She even went to the trouble of gathering all the ingredients and bringing them to my house as a surprise; I was so happy! This tea isn't like the concentrate that you can buy in stores. Instead it's full of unique spices and a hint of sweetness instead of being overly sweet. 

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups water
4 Earl Grey tea bags
1/8 inch slice of fresh ginger 
8 whole dry cardamom pods (or 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom)
3 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon, split lengthwise
3 tbsp sugar

- Milk, Cream or Half and Half  for mixing.

DIRECTIONS:
In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Reduce to low (simmer not boil) and add tea bags and spices. Stir well and cover. Let simmer for 3 minutes. If using cardamom pods, smash pods with a spoon and cook for 2 more minutes. Strain and add 3 tbsp of sugar, mix. 

If you would like to use the entire 3 cups of concentrate to serve immediately add in 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup half and half and enjoy.

NOTES:
I like to keep mine as plain concentrate so that I can pull it out of my refrigerator and make tea  a single cup at a time. I use 1% milk in mine but adding some half and half would be amazing and creamy. Mmmm....

There aren't many occasions in my home that require fresh ginger so I use what I need and freeze the rest, wrapped in plastic and foil, for another time. It's awesome, it stays fresh and mine hasn't even been freezer burned and it's probably been in there close to a year. (again, thanks Mom!)

Recipe: From my Momma with a note at the top that says Aromatherapy In The Kitchen.