September 08, 2012

Granola



I don't know about you but I'm cheap... yup, I said it CHEAP. I can't bring myself to buy good granola at the grocery store for 5 bucks a bag. The great thing about granola is that you can put whatever you want in it- go crazy! 

INGREDIENTS (for my favorite):
2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup almonds, slivered
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped cashews
1/4 tsp cinnamon, and some to sprinkle over top
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of all spice
1/8 cup canola oil
1/4 honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
sprinkle of salt (just less than 1/8 tsp)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Mix all ingredients, except for the dried fruit, together. Pour out on a baking sheet covered in tin foil. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring once or twice while it's cooking. After it's finished baking add your favorite dried fruit. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

This is awesome to eat plain, as cold cereal, to sprinkle in yogurt or even to top of hot oatmeal for some extra crunch. 

Notes: The original recipe that was given to me had yummy ingredients like wheat germ, flax and sunflower seeds (1/4 cup each) but sadly I didn't have any of these in my house. Maybe next time!

Recipe: Adapted from my Aunt Jacque (Hiiiii Aunt Jac -Q-U-E!!)