August 04, 2012

Balanced Breakfast - Steel Cut Oats


This post most definitely isn't a recipe. It's just a delicious quick, healthy, belly-filling breakfast.

Update: 8/8/2012: I just tried a killer combo! With fresh summer fruits in abundance at local roadside stands... I picked up some peaches and raspberries and threw them into my oats this morning  with a little bit of cinnamon and almonds...it blew my mind! Give it a try.

INGREDIENTS/DIRECTIONS
(make ahead of time for a quick breakfast)
1 cup Bob's Red Mill - Steel cut oats (this makes 4 servings)
3 cups water
1/4 tsp salt

Bring 3 cups of water and 1/4 tsp salt to a boil and add 1 cup of oats.  Reduce heat to low simmer. Cover and cook for 10 (al dente) to 20 minutes (creamy) Stir every few minutes. Remove from heat and let stand two minutes.

Add in your favorite fruits and nuts. My favorites are fresh strawberries, raspberries, peaches and blueberries. Then I add some walnuts or almonds for crunch.

I eat mine like a warm cereal by adding about 1/2 cup of milk. DELISH!
I also sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon in mine. No need for sugar because the fruit adds the sweetness.

NOTES:
I like to make this ahead of time and split into fourths and store, refrigerated, in small containers so I can take it to work for an easy, healthy breakfast. I reheat it for 1 minute and enjoy!