March 02, 2013

The BEST Tzatziki Sauce

First off, let me just say: "yes, I know this picture is terrible." I was making this to take to my family's house on a dark winter day. I couldn't find any good light in the house to save my life. Next time I make this I'll be sure to replace the picture. ANYWHO...
I LOVE Greek flavors, especially that lovely cucumber sauce that no one knows how to pronounce correctly. I have made a few of these in the past from different recipes and I have to say that this is my absolute favorite!

1 (32 oz.) container of plain yogurt, drained- Don't use fat free!
2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
3 cloves garlic, crushed (I use my microplane)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried dill
Salt and pepper to taste

RECIPE:
Strain yogurt over a bowl, using either some cheesecloth or line a strainer with a coffee filter. Strain for several hours or overnight. In a pinch I have only strained for 2 hours and it worked out just fine.

Prepare your cucumbers by pealing and then seeding them. To seed: slice in half, along the length of the cucumbers, and then run a spoon down the middle and dig the seeds out. After the cucumbers have been pealed and seeded shred with a cheese grater and then place the shredded cucumbers in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to get rid of as much of the moisture as possible.

Crush your garlic cloves or use a microplane.

Mix together all of the strained yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, vinegar and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Then, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Serve with toasted pita bread ( gyro and souvloki recipes to come. YUM)

Source: Tide and Thyme



No comments: