November 15, 2012

Tender Chicken Nuggets

I have a small obsession with a certain chicken restaurant in town. I had pinned this recipe a few months back. This Friday I was alone at home while the husband was out to dinner for work and I decided I needed to try it. Now, I could have just gone for a quick drive and grabbed a to-go bag but I was already home and the snow was falling. It was just so peaceful...I couldn't bring myself to put in the effort to leave. Good thing this recipe was easy!

Yields: approx. 16 - 20 nuggets
INGREDIENTS:
5 frozen chicken tenders, thawed.
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Lawry's season salt
Peanut oil (is best) or Canola oil - *I used Canola

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium bowl whisk together egg and milk until combined, set aside.

Prepare the chicken by trimming away any fat and chop into bite size cubes. Then put the chicken into the egg/milk mixture and let sit in the refrigerator, covered for up to two hours.  (I cheated and only let it sit for about 30 minutes - still killer)

In a gallon bag mix all the dry ingredients together. Feel free to add any of your favorite spices. Seal bag and shake to combine.

Next, prepare a heavy bottom pan with about 2 inches of oil and heat to approx. 375 degrees F.

When the oil is up to temperature place your chicken into the seasoning bag one at a time and shake to coat the chicken. Place about 6 to 8 coated chicken nuggets in to the hot oil and cook until the sides begin to turn white and then turn the chicken. The chicken should be golden brown and cooked thoroughly. I cooked the chicken for about 1 minute on each side. Make sure to test the nuggets by cutting a larger one in half just to check that it's fully cooked.

Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.  ... And maybe a lemonade. I'm hoping that I will find a recipe that replicates the sauce that this particular restaurant serves too ( I may have had some extra in my refrigerator- don't judge).

Notes: I have heard of other recipes that incorporate pickle juice...might be delicious. I'll update the post if I try anything new.

Might use this same recipe to make the famous chicken sandwich as well.

Feel free to add more chicken, I had plenty of extra milk/egg and coating mixture.

Update: I made these again and attempted a sauce. The sauce turned out great! ...however, I didn't measure a thing. Dang! I'll try again!

Recipe:  Adapted from My Name Is Snickerdoodle

No comments: