November 29, 2012

Creamy Pesto Chicken Panini


My little family might have a small obsession with pesto. Especially the Kirkland brand from Costco - YUM.  Since my family is only made up of two people and a dog the jar of pesto goes a long way. Fun tip, I freeze mine so it won't have a chance to go bad. 

Anywho, this recipe is simple and delicious and can be easily adjusted to your tastes. 

INGREDIENTS:
Loaf of artisan bread, I used this Crusty Artisan Bread recipe. You can also buy some from your
local grocery store. Just make sure that the bread is dense enough to hold up to being smashed in a panini press. 
Chicken tenders, seasoned with garlic, Italian seasoning, Lawry's, pepper and onion powder
Sun Dried tomatoes
1/4 cup prepared Basil Pesto
1 tbsp mayo 
Provolone Cheese
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

DIRECTIONS:
Cook your chicken thoroughly and set aside. I used two chicken tenders per sandwich.

Mix 1/4 cup pesto with 1 tbsp of mayo to make a creamy sauce, set aside.

Slice your bread to approximately 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices. Spread your desired amount of pesto/mayo on to the bread  and top with sun dried tomatoes. Next lay your chicken on the tomatoes and top with provolone. If you're like me and like a little extra pesto you may want to spread a little on the second piece of bread also.  But be careful if you spread a ton onto your bread you run the risk of it getting soggy bread - that's why I spread a little on both. 

Once your sandwich is put together brush the outsides very lightly with olive oil and set your sandwich in a hot panini maker.  I think I left mine in my panini maker for about 6 or 7 minutes until the bread was crunchy and the cheese was melted. 

Oh, it was sooooo good and so simple. Enjoy!








No comments: