October 23, 2012

Oven Baked Chimichangas

In my house most of the weeknight meals are all about how quick can I make this? and will I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow? Glamorous huh? Luckily, I have a few staple meals that taste awesome and still meet my requirements - this is one of them! 
This was the first recipe that introduced me to chilies in adobo. Holy cow,the first smell and I was in love.  The smokey heat from the chilies and the freshness of the cilantro and lime really gives a punch of flavor to this dish. 

INGREDIENTS:
Makes about 6 to 8 chimis
Rice:
1 cup (uncooked) white instant rice
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 cup water, boiling

2 tbsp canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 oz. ) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 - 3 cups chicken, cooked (about 8 frozen chicken tenders)
1/2 can of corn
1/2 tsp cummin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2* teaspoons canned chipotle chilies in adobo, minced
1 cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese (or a combo!)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and Pepper
1 lime (optional)
8 large burrito-size flour tortillas


*if you would like more spicy heat add more chilies in adobo. I usually use 1/2 - 1 tbsp.

DIRECTIONS:

Follow the directions on your specific box/bag of rice. When the water is boiling drop in the two bouillon cubes and let dissolve. Add the rice, finish cooking and set aside.

To cook the chicken I use my biggest/deep pan with a lid and heat it to medium. Add the 2 tbsp canola oil and cook chicken, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook thoroughly, remove chicken from the pan and set aside to cool. Chop chicken into small pieces when cool enough to handle.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In the same medium heat skillet add the diced onions to the remaining oil and chicken drippings. cook until translucent. Turn off the heat.  Next, add the corn, rice, chicken, beans and chili in adobo.  Mix together all of the ingredients until just combined and sprinkle with the cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper; mix. Finally, add the cheese and stir until melted.

Stack your tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave the tortillas until they are pliable, about 1 minute. Top each tortilla with 1 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla. Fold the sides in toward the center then roll the remaining flaps to create a seam.

Place the chimichangas on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet, seam down. Brush the tops of the chimis with a paper towel dipped in canola oil and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp.

Serve with lime

Notes: I love this meal and I hate for things to go to waste so I like to save my chili in adobo for next time by mincing the whole can and then spooning it into an old ice cube tray, freezing it and then popping them out into a plastic bag to use for later.

Recipe: Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

1 comment:

Jeanne G said...

O. M. G.
This sounds so yummy and why have you NOT made it for me??
yer fired!
I think I will be making this *THIS WEEK*, and exactly how you have the recipe. Yummy!
(it us too late to start cooking now, dang it... I want to eat this!)