September 22, 2012

Oatmeal Sandwich Bread

 So, first-thing's-first... thank you guys so much for visiting my blog! I hit 700 page views today! That is pretty dang cool! I see a lot of pinterest links and that is also pretty dang cool - makes a girl feel loved...Anywho, I was recently out of town and need to play catch up! So in the next few days you may be overloaded with carbs, because I am...overloaded with carbs. Oh, also I finally got my comments working. If you'd like to leave a comment on a post feel free (link on the bottom of the post), I'd love to hear from you!

This recipe is top notch! Don't be fooled by my sad, sad picture, I was running short on time and wasn't able to let it rise for the correct amount of time. It still turned out delicious!

The recipe below is by weight, if you don't have a cheapy little digital scale at home I suggest you go to the nearest hardware store and buy one for five bucks, OR, you can do as I did and walk out to the mountain of tools that your husband has accumulated and pick out your favorites.

 I "picked" this great little digital scale out of the tool pile, washed it up and it's been living in my kitchen ever since - SCORE!

INGREDIENTS:
 370 grams all purpose flour
48 grams old fashioned oats
14 grams sugar
1 pkt active dry yeast (not instant)
15 grams very soft butter (1 tbsp), unsalted
10 grams salt
1 1/3 cups warm water
Additional old fashioned oats for rolling

DIRECTIONS:
In a small bowl/cup add the warm water, a pinch of sugar and the active dry yeast. Set aside until yeast has become foamy.

In a large bowl, or bowl of a mixer, mix together the flour, oats, salt and sugar. Add the soft butter and slowly pour in the yeast and water mixture.

Mix with either your hands or using a mixer with a dough hook attachment until the dough is smooth. It will be sticky. By hand, will take eight minutes or so of kneading. If you're using a mixer, it will take approximately four minutes on high speed. (I personally like hand kneading)

Cover bowl with dishcloth and set in a warm place to rise for 1 - 1&1/2 hour(s), until the dough has doubled in size.

When the dough has doubled, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and punch down to release any air bubbles. Then cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes on the counter.

Form your dough into a small log and roll in oats. Place the loaf into a greased bread pan, cover with a cloth and let rise again for 45 minutes. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

When you are ready to bake, reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F and place the loaf in the oven. Do not open the oven! (it will release steam!) Cook for 45 minutes. When done the loaf should be a rich golden brown. If you're unsure if the bread is finished keep it in for five minutes longer.

Notes:
I wish I would have let mine rise the full amount of time, next time I will and believe me, there will be a next time!

Recipe: Exact recipe from Eat Live Run
Photo credit for scale here

No comments: