July 18, 2012

Creamy Garlic Alfredo



This is another wonderful recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. This sauce is a quick and easy with a big flavorful payoff. I use it on pasta and also as sauce for pizzas. It's delicious.

INGREDIENTS:
2 tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 oz. cream cheese, softened (you can use lowfat or regular)
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
3 oz. parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt, to taste

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, take care not to let the garlic burn. Add the cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. It will look curdled at first, but with constant whisking for 2-3 minutes, it should come together to form a smooth, creamy paste. Add the milk gradually, 1/4 cup at a time. whisking quickly and constantly until each addition is incorporated fully into the sauce. Stir in parmesan cheese, pepper and salt. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is desired consistency. Cook 2-3 minutes for a thicker sauce or remove right after cheese is incorporated fully for a thinner sauce. Serve immediately over hot cooked noodles.

NOTE:
This is important... don't burn your garlic. yuck, the second time I made this sauce I accidentally overcooked my garlic, bummer. However, I have made it succesfully many times since then. A good trick is to have everything measured out and ready by your pot.

Don't skimp on the 3 oz. of cheese. It's needed and it packs a ton of flavor.

This sauce makes about 2 cups. I use only 1 cup for just my husband and I and freeze the other half and save if for pizza sauce on our grilled pizzas.

Recipe: Directly from Mel's Kitchen Cafe